ESP-LXD Decoder Controller
Your foundation for simple, decoder-based control.
Building on the success of the popular ESP-Series commercial controllers, Rain Bird is pleased to introduce the new ESP-LXD controller. The ESP-LXD controller has been designed to maintain the look, feel and ease of programming of the ESP-Series controllers, while offering a 2-wire path for decoder-based irrigation. The ESP-LXD controller can manage up to 50 stations but can easily be expanded for use with up to 200 stations. Flow Management is also built in to every ESP-LXD controller.
Easy to Use
The ESP-LXD Controller utilizes the Rain Bird® ESP Extra Simple Programming user interface. The dial, switches, and buttons interface, which Rain Bird first introduced in the 1980s, is easy to learn and use and has become a standard controller interface for the irrigation industry. The large LCD display incorporates softkey text labels for the button functions rather than dedicated buttons.
Easy to Install
The ESP-LXD Controller has a spacious case and eight lugs for up to four two-wire paths (which are all managed as a single two-wire path) making installation fast and easy. Multiple size wiring knockouts are provided on the bottom and back side of the case to adapt to a wide variety of wiring applications. The door and front panel are removable so the case can be easily mounted to the wall.
From Cycle+Soak™ to Contractor Default Program™, the ESP-LXD offers innovative features proven to cut installation expenses, troubleshooting time and water use.
A modular design makes the ESP-LXD the perfect fit for a range of large residential and commercial projects—from the straightforward to the most complex.
The ESP-LXD offers the ability to expand from 50 stations to up to 200 stations. So you can handle sites large or small, while stocking fewer controllers and components.
Built-In Flow Management
FloManager® ensures you don’t overtax your water supply, while Flo-Watch™ quickly identifies and isolates high or low flow situations, such as mainline breaks.
Smart Approved Watermark
Rain Bird’s ESP- LXD controller has received the Smart Approved Watermark. Established in Australia and recognized worldwide, this elite designation identifies products and services that help reduce water use.
Already have a Rain Bird® MDC Two-Wire Decoder? You won’t need to dig up your field decoders. Upgrading to the ESP-LXD is as simple as changing out your MDC controller.
Included with every ESP-LXD is the ESP-LXD-M50 module, a “double-wide” module which snaps onto two adjacent mounts on the controller backplane. The ESP-LXD-M50 module includes the lugs for attachment of the two-wire path cables. Built in to every ESP-LXD module is Rain Bird’s Flow Smart software for flow management – simply attach one to five SD-210 sensor decoders and flow meters (not included) to the two-wire path, and the controller will do the rest.
ET Manager™ Cartridge
Make your controller weather-smart. The most accurate weather-smart device of its kind is now available as a cartridge for the ESP-LXD.
Using real-time weather data from local precision weather stations, the ET Manager adjusts watering schedules to save 30-50% of water usage. It’s controlled entirely within the ESP-LXD interface so there’s no need to program two separate devices.
(ET Manager Cartridge receives weather data via radio broadcasts. Radio broadcasts are available in most parts of the USA and Canada. Please check www.rainbird.com/wrsp for signal availability.) Learn more about the ET Manager Cartridge.
The ESP-LXME Controller has an optional LXMM Metal Wall-Mount Case and LXMM-PED Metal Pedestal. The ESP-LXME standard plastic case field installs into the LXMM and can be wall-mounted or attached to the LXMM-PED for free-standing controller applications. The LXMM and LXMM-PED use powder-coated steel for years of rust-free operation.
A new optional offering for the ESP-LXD controller is the PBC Program Backup Cartridge. This multi-functional cartridge installs into the cartridge bay in the back of the controller front panel. The PBC has two key features to simplify installation and management of one or more ESP-LXD controllers:
Backup and Restore. The PBC allows eight full backups of all programming on an ESP-LXD controller. Use it on multiple occasions for a single controller or once for several different controllers. Once programs are backed up to the PBC, they can quickly and easily be restored, and the PBC is designed for convenient travel to take to controller sites.
Decoder Address Entry. With the PBC, you’ll never have to manually enter decoder addresses again. Simply attach a barcode scanning pen (sold separately) and scan the peel-off barcode labels from the Programming Chart included with the controller. Your decoder addresses are entered for you automatically within minutes.
FD Series 2-Wire Decoders
Rain Bird® Field Decoders provide easy, cost-effective installation and expansion for the ESP-LXD Decoder Controller. Choose from five models for the level of control that’s right for you. Learn more about FD Series 2-Wire Decoders.
Combine the ESP-LXD with Rain Bird® Flow Sensors for precise and accurate flow monitoring (Flow Smart Module also required). Choose from a variety of sensor sizes, operating ranges and types for the solution that best meets your needs. Learn more about Flow Sensors.
Add a Rain Bird® Rain/Freeze Sensor to your ESP-LXD to save time, improve system performance and can enhance your reputation as a water management expert. Learn more about Rain/Freeze Sensors.
The Rain Bird® Anemometer can add yet another weather-based component to your ESP-LXD by providing site-specific wind speed measurements. The controller can interrupt irrigation when wind velocity reaches a programmed set point. Learn more about the Rain Bird® Anemometer.
- UV-resistant, outdoor-rated plastic, locking, wall-mount case
- Uses the same decoder hardware as MDC, MDC2 and SiteControl
- Supported decoders: FD-101TURF, FD-102TURF, FD-202TURF, FD-401TURF, FD-601TURF
- Also supports SD-210TURF sensor decoders (flow sensing and weather sensor support) and LSP-1 line surge protectors (one per 500 feet of two-wire path required)
- User-selectable six language support
- 50-station capability standard expandable via SM75 modules to 200 stations
- Four sensor inputs (one wired plus up to three decoder-managed) with override switch
- Programs can be backed up and restored with the optional PBC-LXD
- New barcode scanner-based decoder address input with optional PBC-LXD
Water Management Features
- Cycle+Soak™ by station
- Rain Delay
- Calendar Day Off
- Programmable Delay Between Stations by program
- Master Valve programmable by station
- Sensor programmable by station
- Program & Monthly Seasonal Adjust
- · Programming prompts
- · Alarm light with external case lens
- · Electronic circuit breaker
- · Program review
- · Variable test program
- · Two-wire diagnostics to simplify and expedite troubleshooting
- Station timing: 0 min to 12 hrs
- Program level and global Monthly Seasonal Adjust; 0% to 300% (16 hrs maximum station run time)
- 4 independent programs (ABCD); ABC programs stack, ABCD overlap
- 8 start times per program
- Program Day Cycles include Custom days of the week, Odd, Odd no 31st, Even, and Cyclical dates
- Manual station, program, test program
- LXMM metal wall-mount case
- LXMM-PED metal pedestal
- ETC-LX ET Manager Smart Controller Cartridge
- IQ-NCC Network Communication Cartridge
- ESP-LXD-SM75 75-station module
- PBC-LXD Programming Backup Cartridge
- Input required: 120 VAC ± 10%, 60Hz (International models: 230 VAC ± 10%, 50Hz; Australian Models: 240 VAC ± 10%, 50Hz)
- Power back-up: Lithium coin-cell battery maintains time and date while nonvolatile memory maintains the schedule
- Multi-valve station capacity: up to 2 solenoid valves per station; simultaneous operation of up to eight solenoids and/or master valves
Dimensions (W x H x D)
- 14.32” x 12.69” x 5.50” (36.4 x 32.2 x 14.0 cm)
ESP-LX Series Controllers Brochure - English
ESP-LX Series Controllers Brochure - Spanish
ESP-LX Series Controllers Brochure - French
ESP-LX Series Controllers Brochure - German
ESP-LX Series Controllers Brochure - Italian
ESP-LX Series Controllers Brochure - Portuguese
Discover how the ESP-LXME and ESP-LXD Controllers combine power and flexibility to make saving time and water simple.
ESP-LX Series: Homeowner Benefits Sell Sheet
Longhorn Village Site Report
Learn how Longhorn Village, an Austin, Texas residential community, saved money and wire with help from the ESP-LXD and Weigelt Enterprises.
Barrabool Hills Site Report
See how Rain Bird® 2-Wire Decoder Control helped an Australia-based church save time, labor and wire during system installation.
ESP-LXD Controller Tech Spec – English
Get to know this innovative controller’s benefits, features, dimensions and other key information, including how to specify.
ESP-LXD Controller Manual, English
ESP-LXD Controller Manual, Spanish
ESP-LXD Controller Manual, French
ESP-LXD Controller Manual, German
ESP-LXD Controller Manual, Italian
ESP-LXD Controller Manual, Portuguese
Find everything you need to know about the ESP-LXD, including how to install, program and troubleshoot this powerful water management tool.
Programming Chart, English (PDF: 1.8 MB)